Monday, July 6, 2009

Moths, Fleas, Mosquitoes and Deer

Lavender is beautiful and smells nice, but there are more benefits to having it around. Moths, fleas, mosquitoes and deer don't like it.

I can't honestly tell you that lavender is as good as moth balls at keeping moths out of your wool, but I do know that moths don't like lavender. And I definitely know that lavender smells better than moth balls.

Likewise with fleas- I'm not telling you to stop flea treatments recommended by your vet, and I'm not telling you not to use a flea bomb is you have an infestation. But if you want to avoid problems, you might try sprinkling dried lavender buds in your carpet and using a carpet rake to spread them around- and then vacuum them up. Don't chase your pets around with bundles of lavender without checking with your vet first, but I have known people to add dried lavender to the stuffing of pet beds to keep them unattractive to fleas.

If you have mosquitoes joining you at the BBQ, you might try tossing some lavender in the campfire, outdoor fire pit, or on a BBQ as it cools down. The scent we enjoy repels the annoying little creatures. Don't want to "waste" pretty lavender by burning it? Save clippings from pruning, or stems from de-budding dried stems for this purpose. Never just throw away any part of a new or old lavender clipping in the trash. Always save it for burning. You can also toss it in an indoor fireplace. Just add a little at a time or you may have a little too much of a good thing.

And last but not least, deer do not like lavender. I know this for a fact! We live out in the country and I regularly have deer right up close and personal to me when I am in my yard. The even dine on the apple tree that overlooks my lavender field. But NOT ONE of my 300 lavender plants have been touched! I'm going to plant lavender near my roses to see if that works. I'll let you know. I'm not sure they are repelled by lavender. I just know they don't like to eat it.

5 comments:

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

Brilliant! I have eaten alive by skeeters the last couple days! My feet look like they have the pox!
Now I know what to do .

Patty said...

Cool! I knew lavender was a good mosquitoe deterent, but didn't know about fleas and never thought about burning it!

Jocelyn said...

Wow GREAT advise. Thanks so much for sharing.

ikkinlala said...

I've been using lavender to keep moths out of my yarn, but I never would have thought to burn it to keep mosquitoes away.

Joy said...

I am thinking I need to get some lavender planted in my side yard. Thank you for the wonderful ideas.