Saturday, January 30, 2010

Entrelac Scarf and Fingerless Mitts

 
 I finished a knitting project that has been almost done for a loooooong time.  I just needed to finish off the second mitt and work in the yarn tails.  We still have a little bit of winter left so I can give them a little bit of wear this year.

 
I love fingerless mitts.  Granted- they do let your fingers get cold, but I like being able to use my fingers.  Our Pacific Northwest winters aren't generally bitter cold- at least not in the Portland area.  I just like to keep my neck and wrists warm- and I'm good to go.

I used Noro Kureon self striping yarn.  The scarf was my first try at doing entrelac.  I think it's good to try a new technique like this with something flat- such as a scarf.  Now I have the confidence to do an entrelac handbag or socks.  For those of you who might not be familiar with entrelac, it's knitting squares in a "criss cross" fashion.  You don't do any sewing- you pick up stitches along the sides of the squares with your knitting needle.  I had a heck of a time with this at first, but eventually the light bulb lit and I figured it out.

I have a few other knitting UFO's... I'm resolving to finish lots of UFO's this year- both knitting and sewing.  I'm blocking another project now- I'll show it to you when it's dry.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Beautiful! Enterlac knitting is something that has always intrigued me. I love Nore yarn, the colours are great.

Pokey said...

Good for you for a useful, pretty finish, and for the new lesson learned!

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful gloves and yarns that you used.

Debbie

Sherri said...

I love the fingerless mitts!!! I wish that I knew how to knit...those would be great for so many things!! My mom is always saying that her hands are cold, but she could wear those and still use her sewing machine I'm thinking!! I might have to get her some gloves and cut the fingers off and then put some freychek on them! LOL!!

Janet said...

Very nice! I'm making a pair of fingerless mitts in Entrelac. It's fun but I need to pay attention when I'm working on them.

Melinda said...

I like the gloves. I think I would like a pair of fingerless gloves. We don't need gloves very often here in the South but I think these would be useful.

2miracles/Tove said...

I agree we dont need fingers here in the North Pacific West. We barely need glove this winter particualrly it is so warm. I love the glove and scraf beautiful yarn. Thanks for sharing.