Tuesday, March 16, 2010

More fun....

More about my weekend....

In my last post, I told you how much fun I had on Friday morning in a class with Helene Knott and her wonderful Garden Patch Cats.  But the fun didn't stop there... oh, no!  On Friday afternoon,  after a yummy lunch with my friend, Sandy, I took a class with Karla Alexander, who took us through the steps to make a table runner from her new book, Color Shuffle.  I don't have the book on my website yet, but I will soon.  I do have a few copies- they just aren't loaded on the site yet.  And I have plenty more coming.  As with all books on my website, Color Shuffle will be 25% off all the time.  Shoot me an email if you want to pre-order a copy.


Here's the quilt that was photographed for the book cover.  It's even more wonderful in person!

And a closeup....


Here's Karla holding another quilt from the book....


And a close-up...


And another...


And a close-up....


Look closely at the above photo.... it's a 4 patch.  SOOOOO simple!  She stacks fabrics, slashes them on a slant, then rearranges them.  Great effect!

Now we get to MY project.....  First the pile of pieces (will it ever look as great as Karla's????)


She promises it will...... so I slashed and sewed and slashed and sewed....

And.....


VOILA!!  It was fun, fun, FUN!  Here I am (on the left) with Karla (on the right) holding my first 2 blocks.  I look happy.... she looks tired.  LOL. Karla is an exceptionally good teacher.  She really watches her students- not hovering, but being available when there are questions.  And the last picture is how the blocks look together.  The finished table runner will have 12 blocks.  It's going to look great on my dining room table.  Now how did she know these are "my colors"?   :-)

9 comments:

Kath said...

At first it feels like a hard job to "break the rukes", looks like you had fun!

Joanne said...

The table runner looks fantastic!

quiltmom anna said...

What a fun class it would be to take- I just bought Karla's color shuffle book and I really do like so many of the patterns. There is a mystery associated with meeting someone who writes a book. It sounds like Karla was as fun as her book is. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Maggey and Jim said...

Wow, that looked like you were really having fun..Love all the beautiful colors and that blue/brown is spectacular..
Maggey

Joy said...

How awesome... I love all your colors. Where are you taking the classes at? I have been trying to find classes to take.

Sue said...

Hi, Joy- These particular classes were held for shop owners at a buyers market at a wholesale fabric distributor in the Portland area. The teachers were promoting their patterns and books to shop owners.

Most local quilt shops hold classes. Send me an email and I'll give you some ideas of places to take classes in your area.

My life has been too crazy to teach this winter. But I will be teaching classes soon. When I get a teaching schedule out, I will definitely blog about it. So keep reading!

Brenda said...

Sue, both classes that you took look like so much fun. You commented "How did she know" what your colors were -- she must have provided kits!

I, too, love the arrangement and choices of fabric you used for the table runner. I wonder if you can manage to carry kits with those fabrics -- in bed sizes as well as smaller sizes.

Put me down for one of the books!!

B.

Sue said...

Hi, Brenda-
The class was for customers of the distributor- all shop owners or long arm quilters. The distributor provided kits using fabrics currently available for sale... the idea being that we were making shop samples that would promote the books and the fabric line.

And yes- I can make it into kits. That's not a bad idea! Heck- I already have a sample made!

I'll hold a book aside for you. :-)

prashant said...

looks like you had fun!
home based data entry