Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Custom Clock for Becky

Becky has been a good friend of mine for about 26 or 27 years.  We have a lot in common, but our favorite thing to do together is paper crafting- rubber stamps, scrap booking, card making- fun stuff like that.  She has a new stamp room and I was noticing last month that she didn't have a clock in there.

My friend, Tamara, gave me a custom clock that she made.  She's done a lot of them and showed me how to do it.  I got an inexpensive clock and took it apart.  I took the boring background paper out and used it as a template to make a new background.  I had 2 circle hole punches- close in size.  I used the smaller one to punch out the numbers from the original backing.  Then I used the slightly larger punch to punch circles out of plain green paper.  I glued the numbers to the green circles.  Then I stamped lots of flowers (because Becky loves flowers) in different colors all over the back, glued the numbers on, and reassembled the clock backing and hands.... pop the face cover back on and POOF!  A new clock for Becky!

Becky hung it over her door,  Pretty!  Happy Birthday!

Wanna make one?  Check out thrift shops for used clocks, or discount stores.  They're not too hard to come by.  The face usually comes off pretty easily.  Then just pull the hands off (careful not to bend them) which should free them from the clock guts (in the back).  You might want to look at the hands before you take them off- makes it a little easier to put them back.  Make a new background, put it all back together, and pat yourself on the back.

Ideas for backings/ themes....
You can use pictures (wedding, baby, house, favorite place, quilt, newspaper, magazine page), you can type or stamp phrases, have people sign or autograph it, make holiday themes, hobby themes, sports players for fans, food for a kitchen,.... you get the idea.

5 comments:

Anne said...

You are so talented. That's really very pretty.

QuiltSue said...

What a clever idea. I love it.

2ne said...

A great idè :-)

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I love your clock! Now I'm going to be keeping my eyes out for one too. Have a happy day!

Judy R said...

Thanks for posting thiss