Thursday, December 6, 2012

Rag Quilt for Paul

This quilt isn't unusual or spectacular, and it will never win a prize.  But I suspect it will be one of the most loved quilts I will ever give my son.  I made this for my oldest son, Paul, for Christmas.  It's all flannels and the plaid fabric in there has a "history".  Paul is a grown (married) man.  He is one of those rare men who hangs onto things and loves things that conjure up old (good) memories.  It's fun to make things for him because you know he'll love it and hang onto it.  The plaid is from his old bedding from when he was in middle school.  He never liked to use a top sheet back then.  While the fitted sheet was thread bare and had to be tossed, the top sheet was like new.  He loved that old bedding and fought me not to get rid of it when I wanted to give it a sendoff on trash day.  I had it in my linen closet for many years- saving it for who knows what.  This year, I decided to purchase some solid flannels to coordinate with it and put this snugly rag quilt together for him.


The flannel squares are 8" and the batting squares are 7".  If you're not familiar with rag quilts, you made little sandwiches and sew X's through them.... then sew them together with a 1/2" seam... then sew a line all around the perimeter at 1/2".  After it's all assembled, you put on a good movie, get out your trusty rag snips, and make a million little cuts in the exposed seams, being careful not to cut through the stitching lines.  The magic happens when you run it through the washer and dryer and watch it "bloom".


  I'm sure this is destined to live in Paul and Cady's family room and will be Paul's adult "blankie".  (Fingers crossed he won't see this post before Christmas)


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've made several rag quilts and they are all well loved by the recipients.

Needled Mom said...

I so love rag quilts and he will too.

WoolenSails said...

I have been collecting my husband's jeans and some other types to make a quilt, now I need to figure out how I want to do it, maybe simple strips and blocks like the gees bend style. Love how that looks, great quilt for a guy.

Debbie